William of Malmesbury
lived c. 1090 - 1143
William was born around 1090 in Wiltshire. He was educated at Malmesbury Abbey where he later became a monk. As an admirer of Bede, William decided to write his own histories: Gesta regum Anglorum, a chronicle of England from 449 to 1120, and Gesta pontificum Anglorum, about the deeds of English bishops. In 1040, he was offered the position of Abbot of Malmesbury Abbey but refused, preferring to edit his works and write a new chronicle called Historia Novella. This work, however, was left unfinished in 1042 before William’s death. TLM
OMSB Records by William of Malmesbury
- Winterbottom, ed., trans.; Thomson, R.M., ed., Gesta Pontificum Anglorum (The History of the English Bishops) vol. 1: Text and Translation (Oxford: Clarendon, 2007).
- Gregg, Joan Young, ed., Devils, Women, and Jews: Reflections of the Other in Medieval Sermon Stories (Binghamton, NY: State University of New York Press, 1997).
- Amt, Emilie, ed., Medieval England 1000-1500: A Reader (Readings in Medieval Civilizations and Cultures, VI. Peterborough, Ont.: Broadview Press, 2000).
- Kors, Alan Charles; Peters, Edward, eds., Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700: A Documentary History (The Middle Ages Series, Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2000).
- Hakluyt, Richard, ed., The Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation. Volume One. (Glasgow: James MacLehose and Sons., 1903).
- Stubbs, William, ed., Memorials of Saint Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury. (London: Longman & Co. (Rolls Series, No. 63), 1874).
- Darlington, Reginald R., ed, The Vita Wulfstani of William of Malmesbury to which are added the Extant Abridgements of this work and the Miracles and Translation of St. Wulfstan (London:Butler & Tanner Ltd. (Camden Society, Third Series, vol. 40), 1928).
- van Houts, Elisabeth, trans., The Normans in Europe (Manchester Medieval Sources Series, Manchester: Manchester University Press, 2000).
- Hamilton, N.E.S.A., ed., Willelmi Malmesbiriensis Monachi De Gestis Pontificum Anglorum Libri Quinque. (London: Longman & Co, (Rolls Series, No. 51), 1870).
- Mynors, R.A.B., trans; Thomson, R.M., trans.; Winerbottom, M., trans., Gesta Regum Anglorum: The History of the English Kings (Oxford Medieval Texts. Oxford: Clarendon Press. 2 vols., 1998).
- Potter, K.R., trans., The Historia Novella (Oxford Medieval Texts. London: Thomas Nelson and Sons, 1955).
- Winterbottom, M., trans; Thomson, R.M., trans., William of Malmesbury: Saints' Lives: Lives of Ss Wulfstan, Dunstan, Patrick, Benignus and Indract (Oxford Medieval Texts. Oxford: Oxford Universty Press, 2002).
- Stubbs, William, ed., Willelmi Malmesbiriensis Monachi de Gestis Regum Anglorum Libri Quinque, Historiae Novellae Libri Tres. (London: Longman & Co., (Rolls Series, No. 90), 2 vols., 1887-89).
- Preest, David, trans., The Deeds of the Bishops of England (Woodbridge, Suffolk: Boydell Press, 2002).