Aelfric (the Grammarian, Grammaticus, the Homilist) Abbot of Eynsham
lived c. 955 - 1020
Aelfric was a Benedictine monk perhaps from Wessex, abbot of Eynsham, and one of the most prolific Anglo-Saxon authors. He is most well-known for his Catholic Homilies, three series of sermons in Old English arranged according to the church year, which were widely read, and was also the author of Bible translations, commentaries, hagiography, treatises on grammar, and letters.
OMSB Records by Aelfric
- Amt, Emilie, ed., Medieval England 1000-1500: A Reader (Readings in Medieval Civilizations and Cultures, VI. Peterborough, Ont.: Broadview Press, 2000).
- Winterbottom, Michael, ed., "Life of St. Ethelwold" in Three Lives of English Saints (Canada: The Hunter Rose Company, 1972).
- Irvine, Susan, ed., Old English Homilies from MS Bodley 343 (Early English Text Society Original Series 302, 1993).
- Porter, David W., Excerptiones de Prisciano (Anglo-Saxon Texts 4, 2002).
- Crawford, S. J., ed., The Old English Version of the Heptateuch, Aelfric's Treatise on the Old and New Testament and his Preface to Genesis (Early English Text Society Original Series 160, 1922 [Rpt. 1997]).
- Butcher, Carmen Acevedo, trans., God of Mercy: Aelfric's Sermons and Theology (Mercer University Press. Macon, Georgia., 2006).
- Stubbs, William, ed., Memorials of Saint Dunstan, Archbishop of Canterbury. (London: Longman & Co. (Rolls Series, No. 63), 1874).
- , (, ).
- Clemoes, Peter, ed.; Godden, Malcolm, ed., Aelfrics Catholic Homilies (Oxford: Oxford UP (EETS First Series Text no. 17), 1997).
- Henel, Heinrich, ed., Aelfric's De Temporibus Anni (Early English Text Society Original Series 213, 1942).
- Warner, Rubie D.-N., ed., Early English Homilies from the Twelfth-Century MS. Vespasian D. xiv (Early English Text Society Original Series 152, 1917 [Rpt. 1998]).
- , St. Edmund, King and Martyr (Wikisource, The Free Library, 2008).
- Skeat, W.W., ed., Ælfric's Lives of Saints: being a set of sermons on saints' days formerly observed by the English Church (Early English Text Society Original Series 76, 82, 94, 114, 1881-1900 [Rpt. 1999).
- Upchurch, Robert K., ed., Aelfric's Lives of the Virgin Spouses with modern English parallel-text translations (Exeter: University of Exeter Press, 2007).
- Sperk, Klaus, ed., Medieval English Saints' Lives (Tübingen: Max Niemayer, 1970).
- Blake, Martin, ed. and trans., Ælfric's De Temporibus Anni (Cambridge: D.S. Brewer. Anglo-Saxon Texts, no. 6., 2009).
- McGillivray, Murray, ed., Old English Reader (Peterborough, Ont.: Broadview Press. Medieval Studies Series, 2011).
- Delanty, Greg, and Matto, Michael, eds., The Word Exchange: Anglo-Saxon Poems in Translation (New York: W. W. Norton & Co., 2011).
- Corona, Gabriella, ed. and trans., Ælfric's Life of Saint Basil the Great (Cambridge: D.S. Brewer. Anglo-Saxon Texts, no. 5., 2006).
- Black, Joseph, et al., The Broadview Anthology of British Literature: Volume 1, The Medieval Period (Peterborough, Ont.: Broadview Press. Medieval Studies Series, 2009).